This article will detail how to customize the Columns on your list view for any record. In Centerbase, you can view a list of almost anything. This includes Matters, Contacts, Bills, Payments, Checks and so much more. For this KB, I will use a Matters Listing as my example record type.
- First, click on the gear located in the top right corner of your grid.
- A Column Settings Dialog will appear with a listing of all the fields you track on a Matter and all the related record fields you've turned on in your Data View for lookup on a Matter.
Displaying a Field on The Grid
- Click the on the checkmark located in the Show? column for any field you'd like to display on the Matter. If you click the Apply Button, all of the selected fields will be moved to the top of the list.
- Once you've selected the fields you'd like to display, you can click on a field name and drag it into the order you desire it to be displayed.
Customizing the Field's Column Width
- You can designate a certain width for each field you've chosen to display on your grid by adding a percentage to the Width Column in your Column Settings Dialog. This can be used to extend the width of a field such as "Name."
- Seventeen Percent should be entered as 17% instead of .17.
- The sum of all your column widths can either be less than or equal to 100%.
Aligning a Field
- You can designate a certain alignment for each field you've chosen to display on your grid by selecting the alignment you prefer from the Alignment Column in your Column Settings Dialog.
- This will format the records value and not the column header.
Formatting a Field
- Certain field types such as dates have formatting options associated with them. If a field type is allowed to be formatted differently, you can click the blank space in the Format column of the Column Settings Dialog and choose a specific format, such as either a short date or long date.
- You can select the number of decimal places you'd like to display by clicking the blank space in the Decimal Place column of the Column Settings Dialog and typing a number. For instance, if you wanted to display two decimal places, you would type "2."
Creating a Custom Label for a Field
- There are certain scenarios where you'd like for your column name be displayed differently than the system field name. This is usually the case with fields turned on in the Data View from lookup records such as Client or Email Address. You can create a custom label by clicking the blank space in the Custom Label column of the Column Settings Dialog and typing a new name for the column.
Selecting the Sorting Order
- You can select the order in which you'd like the list to be displayed by choosing the field to sort by and whether you'd like to sort as ascending or descending.
Saving a System Default
- If a user has Set System Default Grid Settings privileges enabled in their User Permissions, they will be able to create default column settings for any user who has not customized their own column settings.
- Once you customize the column settings to your liking, check the Save As System Default box located at the bottom of your Column Settings Dialog.
- If a user has customized their columns but would like to inherit the system default, they can click Reset at the bottom of your Column Settings Dialog.