Entering client payments is quick and easy in Centerbase. Here are four different ways to complete the task:
- Enter Payment from anywhere: Use the blue PLUS icon to open a payment dialogue for quick and easy entry. This method does not auto-fill any information, but will show open bills once a Client/Matter is selected.
- Add Payment from the Bill record: Search for a bill number via the global search, open the record, click Bill Actions, then Add Payment. This method will auto-fill the Client and Matter information, showing any other open bills for that client.
- Apply Payment from the Bill grid: Find the bill in the Bills grid, right-click and choose Apply Payment. This method will auto-fill the Client and Matter information, showing any other open bills for that Client.
- Trust Account: Perfect for family law or any firm where all money is deposited into trust, then bills are paid from trust (see the Managing Trust section for managing this payment method).
- AR Sweep: Please see the AR Sweep article for more information.
Entering a payment from any of the above methods will open the payment dialogue. Payments may be made at the Client level, where the payment is applied across the bills from multiple Matters of the same Client. Payments may also be made at the Matter level and broken across single or multiple Bills for that single Matter.
Centerbase manages payments (and credits) by creating a top-level payment record, then a payment distribution for each bill the payment is applied. In the below example, we are making a client level payment for El Chaparral of $300.00. We then distribute the payment across two bills creating two payment distributions. The top-level payment is for $300.00 and there are two associated payment distributions for $100 and $200.