For electronic or LEDES billing, Centerbase offers the ability to easily generate the .dat or .txt files necessary to properly submit online. Centerbase currently must configure the template(s) and requests at least one accepted example of each template before configuration.
Users may create a LEDES bill for any bill in Centerbase by clicking the Bill Actions button on the posted bill, then hovering over E-Billing File and selecting the correct LEDES File, if more than one template is available. This action may also be done in bulk from the bills grid by selecting multiple bills, then in the upper right-hand corner. This will download individual LEDES files to the user’s local computer for submission to the online vendor. Configuration for LEDES Billing:
- Task and Activity Codes (L and A) must be configured in the billing codes section. The LEDES code field must be filled out for it to populate in the exported file (i.e. must contain L110 for the L110 - Fact Investigation/Development code).
- Users settings: Each user that is billing on these clients must have the following fields populated in the System Settings > Users > Username fields:
- LEDES - Initials
- LEDES - Name
- LEDES – Classification Code
- If needed, additional fields can be added if a single timekeeper needs to have multiple initials/name/classification depending on what client/client type is being billed.
- System Settings: You must configure your system settings for electronic billing by opening the system settings page and going to Electronic Billing -> General
- You can override these settings at the matter-level by opening a matter, clicking on the gear icon and choosing Billing. This will take you to the billing settings page for the matter; the E-Billing Matter Fields are near the bottom of the page.
- Matter/Client Settings: Each matter must have:
- Firm Matter ID: This is usually the Matter #, but can be a separate field if needed
- Client Matter ID: This can be a separate field on the matter, or some firms use the same field for Firm and Client Matter ID
- Client ID: This is usually pulled from the client by looking at their Client # / ID
- Firm Tax ID must be provided: a 9-digit tax ID or unique identifier must be provided for configuration on the back-end by Centerbase.
- Invoice Description: This can be pulled for each bill, or it can be a single field on the matter so it only needs to get set once and used for all successive bills. Depending on the client, this can be either a description of work performed or a description of whether this is an Initial, Interim, or Final Invoice.