Centerbase offers Production and Origination compensation reporting. Production & Origination can be set at the system or matter level only. This article will detail how to set up Production & Origination at the matter level.
Navigating to Production & Origination Settings
- Open the matter record
- Click on the cog located to the right of Matter Actions and Workflow
- Click Origination.
Understanding Origination vs. Production
- Originator: In most law firms, the originator(s) on a matter is the individual who brought the business to the firm. In Centerbase, anyone listed as an originator receives a percentage of all fees received on the matter, no matter who the timekeeper is.
- Production: The production section is used to compensate each timekeeper for the time they worked on a matter by giving them a percentage of the fees received on their time.
Note: Production and Origination can be used independently or together. You do not have to use either section in order to use the other.
- First, click the Edit button in the top right corner of the Origination Settings screen to enable edit mode.
- Next, we will configure the origination settings:
- Origination Percent: Total percentage of fees received allocated to Originations.
- Don't Split Origination When Timekeeper: If true and you have multiple originators, an originator will not give up a percentage of their origination to the other originator(s), instead they will keep the entire origination. For example, if two originators are splitting origination 10% each for a total of 20% origination, if one of the originators is the timekeeper, they will receive the full 20% origination and the other originator will receive 0% of those fees.
- Use Default Settings: If true, the matter will pull origination settings from the System Settings. If this setting is checked, you will not be able to customize the percentages below.
- To add an originator, click on the Select and click on + button to add an originator title to expand the drop-down menu.
- Choose the originator.
- Click the green + button.
- Set origination percentage. Note: The origination percent must equal the Origination Percentage setting above.
- You can select more than one originator. Follow the previous 4 steps to add additional originators.
Configure Production Section
A Partners group will always show up and an Associates group can be configured to show up by default as well under the Production section.
- Click the percentage located in the Timekeepers column for the Timekeeper you'd like to configure and set a percentage. Note: The Timekeepers, Firm and Originator columns must always equal 100%. Centerbase will automatically set the Firm percentage based on what's left over after allocating the Originator and Timekeeper percentages.
You can add individual exceptions for timekeepers who are a part of the defined timekeeper groups that need to be paid a different percentage or for timekeepers who aren't a part of the timekeeper groups.
- Click Select and click on + button to add a timekeeper... to expand the dropdown menu.
- Select a timekeeper.
- Click the green + button.
- Edit the timekeeper's production percentage in the Timekeepers column
Once you've finished configuring the settings click Save to save your settings.