Split Billing offers users the ability to associate fees and expenses with multiple matters and split billing amounts between them.
While on a Matter view, select the Split Billing option from the drop-down settings menu. This will redirect a user to the Split Billing Settings view.
If this option does not appear, you can enable Split Billing under System Settings -> System Configuration -> Advanced Billing -> Split Billing. If you enable it, save the setting, and refresh your browser you should see the Split Billing option on matters.
Users can add Matters for splitting in the input box associated with the Matter table. Chosen matters will be populated here. Users can choose matters with the same or different clients than the matter originally chosen. A percentage must be provided. When generated from the parent matter, charges will be split between the matters based on the percentage provided here. The total must add up to 100%, or users will get an error message when trying to save settings.
When generating a bill from the parent matter, fees and expenses are split between the matters and multiple billing entries are created instead.
- When generating a split bill, new billing entries are created for all of the sub-matters, and the original entries are set inactive.
- When deleting sub bills, all entries are set back to the original entry, and split entries are deleted.
- Deleting any of the split bills will delete all split bills on the same parent.
- Rates can be set on sub-entries using the parent matters rate table, or the child matter rate tables.
- Rounding for time entries will use the sub matters rounding settings.