This KB covers how to disburse funds from a client trust or retainer if you are using Centerbase Accounting.
To make a disbursement to a vendor or a refund to a client, simply choose the New > Check action from the navigation on the top right of any window. (If check is not visible, it can be added to the “New Menu” using the Item Manager in the PC Admin tool – See Adding New Fields with the Windows Admin Tool (PC Client).
Centerbase will open a blank check. Select Check Type – Trust or Retainer. Then select the Matter from which you want to issue a disbursement as well as the correct matter Trust or Retainer account. Next, enter the following information:
- Pay to: This must be an existing client (for a refund) or vendor (for a disbursement) in the system.
- Enter the amount, up to and including the full balance in the matter’s Trust or Retainer account.
- Enter a memo (optional) to notate the reason for the disbursement or refund. This will show on the client’s bill if trust transactions are enabled in billing statements.
- Enter address information if it does not auto populate for the client or vendor.
- Optionally choose to print the check now by unchecking the "print check later" checkbox. This will auto-populate the next check number and you may then print the check immediately.
- If you will be printing the check later, click Save.
Centerbase will automatically create a trust transaction to reflect the check (disbursement/refund) in the client’s matter ledger as soon as the check is saved or printed.
If the disbursement will be made electronically, it can be made from the Trust and Retainer Ledger page.
However, if the disbursement will be a check, the method above to write a check should be used.